A Travellerspoint blog

My best time in March

Trip to Toronto during March Break

-1 °C

March break is a time most of people want to relax and take a break from winter. Some of them go away from home to travel warm countries, for a ski trip or to travel other places in Canada. One of my friends from Mexico and I decided to go visit his uncle in Toronto. We were very excited to go to Toronto because we were sure it was going to be one of our best memories in Canada. Especially my friend was very excited because he had not been to other places in Canada and Toronto is one of the biggest cities in North America and he had not seen his uncle for a long time.

We arrived in the airport around 11 a.m but our flight was leaving at 9 p.m. We had to spend the whole day in the airport. It sounds very tiring and frustrating but we were too excited and happy to feel tired and frustrated. Though, it was not easy to stay 12 hours in the airport. We got in the plane and finally arrived in Toronto around 11 p.m. My friend's uncle was waiting for us in the airport and we started heading to his place. We had really good talk that night but had to go to sleep early because we were very tired and we wanted to get up early in the next day to go see Toronto.

We got up around 8 a.m to get ready and went downtown Toronto. My friend's uncle said that, since he has work through the week, he would not be able to drive us everyday. So what he did was to show us around the first day and taught was how to use buses, subway and streetcars. He even bought week passes for us. We went downtown Toronto and there was a huge parade going through the whole city celebrating St. Patrick Day. It was bigger than any other parades I have seen in my entire life. People were playing instruments, dancing and singing. I wish I was one of them.

Then we went to see the old city hall and public outdoor ice-rink. The old city hall is a really beautiful and gigantic building. Also, I was so impressed that people were still enjoying skating a lot outside on the public skating rink.

After that, we went to the mall in downtown and walked around for a bit. We could not see the whole mall because it was too big. It was so much bigger than we expected. Then we went to China town in Toronto. I realize that Toronto is really multi cultural place. China town was tremendously big and there were also a lot of people. We got really hungry since we walked a lot that day so we went to a Korean BBQ restaurant. Finally we arrived home and took rest and planned for the next day. We thought It was a great start of our journey.

We woke up early to catch the bus at 9 a.m we were a bit tired but we were still so excited to go to Ontario place and a big park by it. It was really beautiful there. It has really stunning view. We did not want to leave that place but we had to because our next move was to go to the CN tower which is really close to the park we were in. We went up to the observation of the CN tower. We could look down the whole city. Of course it was beautiful and we realized again how big the city is. There is a higher observation called the " sky pot ". It was free for us to go up there so we could look down the whole city from the higher level. We came out of the tower and my friend's uncle picked us up at the old city hall. We were happy that we did not have to go back home by subway and bus. We went home, had really good supper, watched a movie and went to bed.

We were in hurry in the morning again, we had to catch the bus at 9 a.m. our plan was to go to the biggest market called " Lawrence Market " and walk around the city. The market was very crowded. Lots of people were there to buy things. In the market, we saw lots of food that looked very nice. we were planning to have a really good supper so we did not really buy anything there. We came out and started walking around the city. We saw lots of church buildings. They seemed like it took a long time to build them. They were very exquisite classical buildings. After that, my friend's uncle came to pick us up for my friend to get his haircut. We had really good supper, lovely tacos. We were very tired that day because we had to wake up early for a few days and walk so much. We decided to sleep in the next day and take a day off and rest.

The next day, my friend and I slept in till 12 p.m. We were so happy that we could rest. We made a good breakfast with the leftover of tacos. We played some play station games and watched some movies. We were still so excited for the rest of the day because we were going to watch Toronto Marlies' hockey game. We headed out to the stadium called Ricoh Coliseum which is Marlies' home rink. There were lots of people that came to watch the game. I do not remember the other team's name and the score but anyway the Marlies won. Everybody was cheering up really hard and I loved the atmosphere very much. I was also in the screen. We came home right after the game and had to go to bed early because we had to wake up earlier than the other days because we had to catch the bus in downtown at 9 to go to Niagara falls.
[ I forgot to bring my camera so I could not take any picture :( ]

We woke up and were in a hurry because we did not want to miss the bus. We had to catch the bus at 9 a.m in downtown but we got there around 9: 05 a.m. We missed the bus and had to catch another one at 9:30 a.m. It was not that bad but the bus ticket was so much more expensive. The ticket we expected to buy was around 10 dollars round trip for each. But we finally had to buy 50 dollars one each. We arrived in Niagara falls around 12 p.m. Firstly we walked to White Water Walk. The closest trail was closed for the season but we could see beautiful water flowing. We walked for a bit to go get some subs because we did not have breakfast and were starving. After that, we started walking towards downtown. There were lots of game stations on Clifton hill. Lots of people were there as well and they mostly looked like tourists. They had a huge ferris wheel we wanted to ride on. But we could not because It was very expensive. We walked around on the hill a bit and went down to see the falls. It was my second time seeing the falls but they were really beautiful. I would never be able to get sick of seeing Niagara falls. There are usually some ships flowing around but it seemed like it was closed for the season. One of the falls had lots of snow on it's rocks so it looked a bit more natural. We stayed there longer because we could not just stop looking at the falls. We walked around very much so we needed to snack. We went back up to the hill and got beaver tail. Beaver tail is always so lovely no matter what. We had to catch a bus back to Toronto around 5:45. We went back to the bus station around 4:50 because we did not want to miss the bus again. Although we were there earlier, we were confused with another bus so we missed it again. It was a little bit frustrating because we made same mistakes twice. We had to catch another bus at 7:30 p.m and we finally arrived Toronto around 10 p.m. We still had to take subway to get to the bus stop and bus to get home. I still think that it was the best of our trip but it could have been so much better. After we came home, we were very tired but we ate burgers, played play station, watched movies and then went to bed because tomorrow was our last day and we were just planning to have a party at home.


This day was our last day in Toronto. We were tired from the last day so we slept in till 12 p.m. We woke up quite late and had brunch. This day was the day for my friend's uncle. It was the day that he became a Canadian citizen. He told me and my friend that he went to the ceremony, sang the national anthem and stuff. Since it was a great day for him, he wanted to have a party. He invited two of his friends. They were girls that are both from Canada but have background of Thailand and Malaysia. They came and made a really appetizing dish with muscle. I usually do not eat a lot of sea food but their dish was amazing. It was like a bag of chips; if you start, you can't stop easily. And then, my friend's uncle made lovely tacos. We had really good talk until late night. We started feeling bad because it was our last day and the day was like a minute. Though, we wanted to go back home to get rest and see our friends back in Nova Scotia. We did not go to sleep early that night because we had to enjoy the party and we told each other to just sleep in the plane and the whole day when we arrive home.

It was such an amazing time in my life. Actually, It was my second time going to Toronto. I already visited Toronto with the program 2 years ago. But still, I want to visit again one day. Of course it is definitely a place I recommend people to go enjoy their vacations. I think it is also a really good thing about Nova Scotia that it is really close to those places. Nova Scotia opens up more options for you to travel around other places in Canada such as Toronto, Montreal, Quebec for vacations.

I wish this blog helps those international students that are planning to go visit Toronto for their vacations.

I hope all other international students including foreign correspondents and managers had great march break ! :)
I am coming back with another blog soon. Thank you for reading hope you have a great day today !

-Chan Yoon-

Posted by NSISPFC 06:44 Archived in Canada

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.